I have read in many self help books about addiction, that when you try to battle the demons of one addiction, you can sometimes replace them with another to fill the ‘void’.
Mainly this is also due the the fact that a lot of addicts have what is know as ‘addictive personalities.’
I understand that for me…understanding why I shopped to extreme levels, will help me close that ‘void’ for good however in the meantime, I am certain that I DO NOT want to to pick up another nasty habit.
Now to be honest with you all…I really don’t think I will ever turn to other addictions. Ironically, although I consume copious amounts of chocolate, I am too health conscious of the bad affects of alcohol to ever turn to alcohol. However, after much deliberation…I have compiled a list of ‘Habits’ that I am willing to pick up in order to replace my shopping one.
Habits I’d be happy to take on board
1. Compulsive Cleaning (everyone loves a shiny, febreeze smelling house)
2. Excessive saving (for the purpose of a holiday or any other than clothing)
3. Workaholic (the productive kind…not the burn out and die kind)
4. Gym addict (work that gluteus maximus)
5. DIY Projects (why not recycle and refashion my 1 million items of clothes)
6. Charity (donate my time and funds to good causes instead of my closet)
Side Note: Please understand…everything I write is a reflection of what I am going through and my beliefs. I am not an advocate. I am not some self help guru out there trying to actively help others with my words. I started this blog for myself. To reflect. Originally, I made it anonymous, then I used an alias. However, I didn’t want to hide or lie any more. So now I write this blog as me and it is about my life and my thoughts. If you don’t agree with it…move on because I never claimed to be an expert in addiction however this is my story.